4.1 Classified and Unclassified Positions.
(a) All departments and persons subject to the Civil Service Article are governed by these Rules.
(b) Subject to the provisions of Sub-section (c) and (d) of this Rule, all officers and employees of the State of
Louisiana are in the Classified Service.
(c) Subject to the provisions of Sub-section (d) of this Rule, the following officers and employees of the State
of Louisiana shall be in the Unclassified Service:
- Elected officials and person appointed to fill vacancies in elective offices.
- The head of each principal executive department appointed by the Governor.
- Registrars of voters.
- Members of State boards, authorities, and commissions.
- One private Secretary to the president of each college or university.
- One person holding a confidential position and one principal assistant or deputy to any officer, board,
commission or authority mentioned in (1), (2), (3), or (4), above, except the State Department of Civil Service.
- Members of the military or naval forces; including those employees in the Military Department of the State of
Louisiana who are members of the Louisiana National Guard or Louisiana State Guard, either active or retired.
- The teaching and professional staffs, and administrative officers of schools, colleges, and universities of
the State, and bona fide students of those institutions employed by any State agency.
- Employees, deputies, and officers of the legislature and of the offices of the Governor, Lieutenant Governor,
and Attorney General; and of police juries, school boards, and assessors; and of all offices provided for in
Constitutional Article V.
- Commissioners of elections, watchers, and custodians and deputy custodians of voting machines.
- Railroad employees whose working conditions and retirement benefits are regulated by federal agencies in
accordance with federal law.
- Notaries Public.
- All employees of the Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness.
(d) 1. The Director, upon submission by an employing agency of written justification deemed adequate by him, may add to the unclassified service positions involving duty assignments which are of a temporary nature.
- The Commission, upon submission of adequate justification by the employing agencies and upon considering the
recommendations of the Director, may add positions to the unclassified service and may, revoke any position added
to the unclassified service under the provision of this Sub-section.
- The Director may not revoke any position added to the unclassified service by the Commission, but may revoke
those positions added by him.
- Repealed, effective April 5, 1978.
(e) The Commission adds to the unclassified service the positions of all persons rendering personal service to the State, or any agency thereof, pursuant to a contract for such services after review by the Director in accordance with Rule 3.1(o).